Thursday 7 February 2008

Out of the ark

I tell the children in Year 6 "By the end of the lesson you need to have started work on a poem expressing the feelings of either Tom or Will at this point in the story." The book is set in 1939, in WWII. I remind them that poems need not rhyme.

One boy writes:
It's awful that you have gone away, I feel so alone
I think I will call you on my mobile phone.

A know-it-all girl sitting next to him reminds him that they didn't have mobile phones in WWII.
"Oh yeah", he says. He rubs out 'mobile' and writes in 'wooden'.

4 comments:

nikoline said...

ah - this made me giggle! thank you. it's been a long day and i NEEDED that! :)

petemaskreplica said...

I'm suddenly filled with an irrational nostalgia for bakelite.

Anonymous said...

Hee hee! That was funny!

Hannah said...

Oh my, that is brilliant.

(I just came across your old comment on my blog, Hannahrama.com, in case you were wondering who the heck I am.)

About Me

My photo
* proud new mother * last child * youngest daughter * tallest sister * favourite auntie * honest lover * furtive photographer * diary writer * compulsive dancer * tree hugger * mooncup promoter * chocolate taster * house plant murderer *