Monday 19 November 2012

Day 12 stapedectomy recovery

Having the packing removed was great.  It didn't hurt at all, and was one of the oddest sensations I've ever felt.  It just kept coming and coming.  Had to have cotton wool in my ear for the rest of the day in case the disturbance meant that blood or other stuff dribbled out, but it barely did.  Immediately I could hear more, although it is still poor quality: a bit tinny and distorted.  Still, after days of it all being plugged it's a relief. 

The consultant said it will take 6-8 weeks for it to 'settle'.  I have read much longer than that so it'll be interesting (boring? frustrating?) to see how long it actually takes. 

Things I am now allowed to do: 
carefully lift up my 1 year old who weighs about 25lbs
sleep on the operated-on side

Things I am still not allowed to do: 
get the ear wet (cotton wool/Vaseline/cling film are still my friends)
exercise or do anything strenuous (" no clearing out the attic")
'pop' my ears

I don't think my hearing range and decibel level is quite as good as before the op yet.  I'm not sure.  I feel as if I can perhaps hear bass sounds better than before.  It's so hard to tell. 

Still experiencing gurgles and pops. 

I have an appointment on Xmas Eve to see how it's all going. 

Fingers crossed. 

The consultant also said he had meant to see me when I came round from the op but I was discharged so quickly that he didn't manage it.  And that he scheduled the op for first thing in the morning so that he could do it before his morning coffee which tends to make his hands shake...

No comments:

About Me

My photo
* proud new mother * last child * youngest daughter * tallest sister * favourite auntie * honest lover * furtive photographer * diary writer * compulsive dancer * tree hugger * mooncup promoter * chocolate taster * house plant murderer *

Blog Archive